Monday, January 28, 2013

Culture Differences #2


6/28/12 

Culture Differences  
Hello, all!  Welcome to those new additions to the weekly (or whenever
it comes) edition of the life and times of...well, me!
Many of you have asked what life is like here; what I do all day, that
kind of thing.  I will lay out a typical (as in the schedule rarely
varies, even weekends) day here.  I will use a 24 hour clock for
simplicity...
0500-0515:  Wake up, get dressed
0515-0600ish:  Run
0600ish-0630ish:  Skype with Carrie and the kids
0630ish-0715:  Shower and dress
0715-0745:  Breakfast
0800-1700:   Clinic time with lunch thrown in somewhere in the middle
1700-1755ish:  Skype with Carrie and the kids
1800-1900:  Dinner
1900-2000:  ????
2000-2100:  Gym
2100-2200:  Shower and get ready for bed
That about takes care of the schedule.  Occasionally we will be called
in to treat a patient after hours...but that is literally the schedule
I keep.  Every day.  Day and night.  over and over and over...just
kidding.  It's not bad.  The schedule gives you something to look
forward too.  ("Ooohh, it's 1900!  Now I get to do ????  That sort of
looking forward.)

That leads me to the second picture I've attached.  Those of you with
weak stomachs might want to skip that picture!  With a nice schedule,
I tend to stick to going to the same places all the time.  I have my
favorite route to the dfac (pronounced d-fac...short for dining
facility).  I use the same Port-A-Johns.  You know, that sort of
thing.  Well, having watched the movie "Groundhog Day" numerous times,
I knew I had to mix it up occasionally...  Well, on my way to the dfac
one day, I decided to stop in at a new set of Port-A-Johns, just for
funsies.  I opened the door, and to my surprise, I saw nothing.
Nothing but a hole that is!  Nowhere to sit.  No urinal.  Nothing.
Now, having lived in Mexico, I've seen my fair share of holes...but I
had no idea that a company would actually fabricate a "Port-A-Hole"!
I was so...uh, impressed, that I decided it would be the picture to
send this week!  Apparently, that is the way things are done among the
Afghan people, so that is your culture lesson for the day!

The other picture is of us running the half marathon.  Some of you may
have seen pictures on Facebook, but I saved this one for the email.
It captures the essence of the race.  In the background, you can see
the town of Sharan.  I'll try to get some pictures of the town close
up for next week.  It's actually pretty cool.  Another thing you can
appreciate is the steepness of the terrain.  We started down near the
town.  This is the highest point of the race at about 8 miles in.  I
would not recommend beginning training for a half marathon with only 2
weeks to go, all while gaining 7500 ft in elevation from home...but it
was fun.  Another thing you can appreciate is the guy in front of me.
We started out as a group of 30 and there were about 6-7 guys in front
of us.  The group you see in the picture is how we finished the
race...he was in front of me by a few paces at the end, too.  I made
no efforts to pass, as I was just trying to finish with both lungs in
my chest, and I thought there was no way we would be placing.  It
turns out that pretty much everyone ahead of us quit.  He came in
second, me third.  We had no idea we were winning!  (Admittedly, I
wanted to quit at the 11.5 mile mark...)  Of course, by winning I mean
surviving.  That is about all I did.  I came in at 1:53.  My goal was
under 2 hours, so I was happy.

Anyway, I believe I have rambled on long enough.  I'm writing down all
the good stories so I can pass them on one at a time, but I've been
gathering them faster than I'm writing, so I may have to double up on
the good ones like I did in this weeks edition.  Until next week, I
love you all and I'll talk to you soon!






No comments: