Monday, January 28, 2013

Hello...from your night, my day! #3


7/29/12

Hello...from your night, my day!

> Hello all,
> It has been a while since I last wrote...sorry about that.  I caught a
> bug that was going around and couldn't get myself to do much outside
> of work.
> Anyway, hello to all, including a few new additions to the letter.  I
> hope everyone is doing well.  I certainly am.  Lately things have been
> extremely busy here.  Apparently my advertising that I do cleanings is
> getting around!  I've also been hanging around the FST a lot lately.
> The FST stands for Forward Surgical Team.  It is the "surgery suite"
> here.  I'm trying to get all the "experience" I can, seeing how I will
> most likely not see this amount of trauma again.  On that note, it is
> interesting to see the types of things that come through the door and
> the differences between our countries as far as "war" experience goes.
> When our guy come in, for the most part, the injuries are TBI's -
> Traumatic Brain Injuries along with aches and pains.  As bad as that
> sounds, TBI's are basically concussions.  They usually walk out of the
> FST an hour after being checked out and are back in the fight the next
> day.  On the other hand, the ANA (Afghan National Army) guys that come
> in are much worse.  I have participated in amputations, facial/skull
> fractures, gun shot wounds and other types of trauma.  They don't have
> the same protection in their vehicles, nor do they have the same
> training, as our guys.  It's good to know we are protected with our
> training and equipment.  Right now, we are heavily involved in
> training the ANA guys so they can continue the fight on their own
> soon.  They are making good strides.  One medic said they are as good
> as we are in combat trauma (applying tourniquets, battlefield dressing
> and the like) so the training is helping.
> In spite of the austere environment, I find myself feeling extremely
> blessed here.  My family is taken care of back home by family and
> friends.  I have good friends here to pass the time with.  I have
> plenty to eat and drink.  I have a warm bed to sleep in every night.
> I get to walk home from work every night and see scenes like the
> picture I've attached this week every day!  If you take the Army stuff
> out of the picture, it's really quite a beautiful place.  It's dry,
> with no trees, but the mountains are spectacular.  The air is easy to
> breathe, except the area by the poo-pons (the waste water facility).
> Other than the fact that my family is not here, it's not half bad!
> I should start circulating soon to FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) near
> here in the near future.  I'll let you all know how that goes.  Should
> be an adventure!  Until then, know that I love you and miss you and
> will talk to you soon!
>
> Love,
> John

No comments: